Saturday, December 05, 2015 13:36

(Fairytale) Retelling challenge 2016 | Sign up post.

Untitled design (1)


This year I will be hosting the Fairytale challenge for the second time. Let’s go through the details:
  • The challenge runs from January 1st to December 31st 2016.
  • You can sign up on your blog, Goodreads, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter: whatever suits you. Make sure you link to a specific post/tweet/photo/etc, instead of a regular link to your account. (Or have some proof by posting the banner in your sidebar!)
  • The goal is to read fairytale retellings, but if you want you can also pick other retellings. Think about mythology, myths, legends and folk tales. It's all up to you!
    Here are a couple of books you can pick from:
    my bookshelf with fairytale retellings.
    Listopia best books of mythology.
    Listopia mythologies and retellings of fairytales & classics.
    Listopia mythology/folklore.
    Listopia myths/legends/folktales.
  • You can read Middle Grade, Young Adult and Adult books for this challenge. 
  • Obviously, the book doesn't have to be published in 2016 and re-reads count.
  • Physical, e-books, Audio books and novella's all count.
  • Cross-linking your books from/with other challenges count.
  • There are 6 different levels you can aim for:

    -Enchanted Moura: 1 – 4 books.
    -Goose Girl: 5 - 9 books.
    -Evil Queen: 10 – 15 books.
    -Wise princess: 16 – 20 books.
    -Kuma Lisa: 21 – 25 books.
    -Cheshire cat: 26+ books
    .
  • Every beginning of the month I will make a link-up post where you put all your reviews and update posts. These link-up posts will have informative/fun introductions, just like last year. I will also focus more on other retellings and there will be a giveaway in December. You can win extra entries throughout the entire challenge.
  • Format for the link-up:
    UPDATE  @ your name/blog name.
    REVIEW – book title @ your name/blog name.
  • Use the hash tag #fairytaleRC on Twitter and Instagram.
The official retelling challenge button.

Also new, you can now showcase a button if you have reached a level!

imageimageimage

imageimageimage
Enchanted Moura: a supernatural being from fairytales of Portuguese and Galician folklore. She often appears singing and combing her long hair; which is golden as gold or black as the night. She promises treatures to whom sets her free by breaking her spell.
Evil Queen: also known as The Wicked Queen of Queen Grimhilde from Snow White.
Goose girl: Princess is betrayed by her maid and has to work as a Goose girl until she can prove she is the real princess.
Wise princess: about a princess who knows everything, except about true happiness. She dies in the end, but she has managed to find happiness and that makes her the most wise of all.
Kuma Lisa: is a fox from Bulgarian and Russian folklore, who usually plays the role of the trickster as an archetype.
Cheshire cat: from Alice in Wonderland.

I can’t wait guys, let the sign-up begin! You have until February 1st.
author image

Mel@thedailyprophecy

Mel is a microbiology technician who is obsessed with Disney, fairytale retellings and fantasy. If she's not reading or blogging, she's either busy with gaming, hanging out with family or watching a TV show. She loves summer and bright nail polish. One of her dreams is to travel the world. She has found her Prince Charming and they are together for 7+ years.

58 comments:

  1. I completely FAILED this year's challenge. But I'm determined to try again, and I love that this is open to other types of retellings (has it always been?) so I think I will have more success next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Last year was also open for other retellings, but this year I want to have more focus on those too :) Makes it easier and it gives more diversity for me to write link-up posts!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh noooo! It says sign ups aren't open until December 8th! I have my link all ready to go! :P I absolutely LOVED participating in this challenge this year! Thanks for hosting :D

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, this is an adorably wonderful idea, Mel! I'm definitely signing up, since I've been obsessed with fantasy and retellings lately, and if you'll have me, I'd love to team up with you and co-host next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaaay :D So happy you are doing this again. <3 I'm signing up :) Added my blog link. But unsure. Must I write a blog post about it? :) Anyway. Cannot wait to try this :D My first challenge, lol. Thank you for doing it again sweet girl. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woop woop, great to have you on board Carina!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with the challenge Mel, we definitely need something that's stress free and it sounds like it'd be a lot of fun! I like the idea of those levels as well. Have fun reading more retellings! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned of this challenge from Dina of the SFF Book Reviews. It sounds awesome. I'm not sure I'll be able to reach even the first level... but I want to try :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you only need to read one book, so that should be manageable right? :D

      Delete
  7. I love this challenge because I already had a list or retellings I've been planning to read in 2016. This just makes me more committed. Thanks.

    Chocomeiske @ https://chocomeiske.wordpress.com (Cover2Cover)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your challenge again this year Mel!! I'm debating whether or not to actually sign up for some challenges this year - I never do usually but I'm tempted! If I decided to, I'll stop by again and sign up :) Have fun everyone!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've taken a bit of a break from blogging, but I absolutely love the sounds of this challenge, Mel. I'm going to link up through my Goodreads, and I've made a designated shelf for the challenge. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! It's my first year participating. I am signing up for level 2. So excited!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've had so much fun participating this year, and so far I've managed to read 20 retellings this year (!), I had never really determined a goal of a specific number to read but I'm surprised at how many I've actually gotten through. 🤗
    I will definitely be joining again next year, I think it's a good way to discover new retellings and see what other people read and find new stories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I AM SO GOING TO SIGN UP!!! I wanted to sign up last year, but didn't discover it until it was too late. Still, I did read a fair few retellings, which I'm proud of!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this idea! I think I'm going to be too busy with my own challenge (Reading New England) to sign up for others, but I'll be interested in reading others' posts. I can't get enough retellings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I signed up again! :D I really want to read more retellings this year ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really glad you're hosting this challenge again! I had a lot of fun with it last year.
    I'm going for the second category, we'll see how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for commenting on my blog! You were my first comment. Can't wait to get to get started!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This challenge last year introduced me to this genre, and I love it. I'm back for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great! So happy to have you around for the second time.

      Delete
  18. I'm pretty excited! :D This is my first reading challenge. Let's see how it goes throughout the year. :)

    - Carla D. @ Pepita Mágica

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm super into this challenge. Though I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it since I'm already doing two other challenges ;-; I might still sign up! This sounds like loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always sign up for the first level and read one book :D Haha.

      Delete
  20. I always loved Fairy Tales so i though this would be a fun challenge. I am planning to Evil Queen Level.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for hosting this one. It sounds like fun. I was already planning to read the Lunar Chronicles this year, so this is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi I'm Wendy and I'm a new blogger. I'm so glad I found this challenge because I love Fairy tales <3 All the stuff you planned sounds fun already! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eep! Did I miss the deadline to participate (says February 1st...but I'm not sure XD)? It's telling me I can't add my link. The challenge looks so much fun, though! *sneaks in*

    - Mari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, something went wrong with the link up. Will fix it tonight!

      Delete
  24. Yeah, it's not letting me link up either :/ I'd love to sign up, though! I'm a big fairytale fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, something went wrong with the link up. Will fix it tonight!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for fixing! I've linked up now :)

      Delete
  25. It says "registration/trial expired" so I'm unable to add my link. Hopefully I can still sign up, I participated last year and loved it (even though I failed miserably, lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, something went wrong with the link up. Will fix it tonight!

      Delete
  26. Thanks for hosting again this year. I had so much fun last year and I hope to participate more this year. I'm going for the level of Goose Girl

    ReplyDelete
  27. Joining in, I already have 4 (do comic books count? Because I am reading Age of Bronze and it is the Iliad, but 1000x better)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now that is past February, can we still sign up for it?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Can I still join? I tried to sign up, but it came up with an error message. I don't normally read this genre, but my last two reads were retellings and I enjoyed them so much, so why not sign up, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw that the link up closed in Feb. Aw, missed out by a month. Maybe next year.

      Delete
  30. I can't seem to add a new link, but here's the URL for my summary post: https://ifthebook.wordpress.com/retellings-challenge-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can I still sign up for the challenge?

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is my first time on your blog and this challenge looks so interesting, I wish I had seen it earlier. I just read a retelling of Snow White - Boy Snow Bird by Helen Oyeyemi. I reviewed it on my BookTube channel. https://youtu.be/Mc7o8haWOYs
    I also read Vinegar Girl which is a retelling of Shakespeares' Taming of the Shrew
    Interesting challenge. Maybe I'll shoot for a few more this year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and commenting! I really appreciate it and I will return the favor as soon as possible. Remember to return to see my reply! :)

Copyright © 2012 The Daily Prophecy
Template and Design by Hopeless Romantics
Subtle Patterns (Subtle Patterns) / CC BY-SA 3.0